holly homemaker

Sunday, September 11, 2011

DIY Homemade yogurt using nonfat powdered milk

This is another thing I have to credit my sister for getting me into!  It is very simple, cheap, tasty, and fast to make if you have a yogurt maker.    If you are already into using plain yogurt, then it's a given that you should try this!  If your new to eating plain yogurt (like me!), then try using it in smoothies, mix with fresh fruits or homemade jam for a snack, or I even love to eat it on oatmeal waffles with fresh fruit on top.  I've even tried it in some recipes as a substitute for sour cream, cream cheese and mayonnaise!

After purchasing (or borrowing) a yogurt maker, follow the maker's directions.  For my yogurt, this is what I do:
1. Measure 4 cups of water into a sauce pan*.  Whisk in 1 2/3 cups dry powdered milk.
 2. Cook on medium heat until bubbles form around the edges of the milk and steam is rising off the surface.

3. Remove from the heat.  Add the thermometer and let sit until the milk is at the correct temperature. (the booklet that comes with your yogurt maker will tell you what temperature)

4.   Add 1 Tablespoon of plain yogurt (you can use store bought or plain homemade yogurt from a previous batch) to the milk mixture and whisk until well blended.

5. Pour milk into the cups of the yogurt maker and place lids on.

6. Put the cups into the yogurt maker, put the lid on, plug in, and turn on. Let it sit for 8 to 10 hours (read the instructions in the booklet to know how long to leave yours on)


7. Put cups of yogurt into the fridge and now you have roughly 6 cups of plain yogurt.

*I've adapted my recipe to fit a bit more yogurt into the cups, so I measure 5 cups of water and 2 c. plus 4 tsp. of dry powdered milk - then I fill each cup all the way and get about 8 cups of yogurt each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment