holly homemaker

Friday, May 1, 2009

Homemade Baby Food

When I began feeding my first baby, I bought rice cereal and jars of baby food at the store - following the whole "stages" thing. Gerber 1 comes before Gerber 2 , etc...
Well, when I had my third baby, a good friend of mine introduced me to the fabulous concept of making my own baby food! Yes, it takes time, but it's way cheaper and healthier for your baby!

Baby can start eating as early as 4 months, but I wait until 6 months. Breastmilk and/or formula is still the most nutritious food baby can get the whole first year; and once solid foods are started, baby eats less breastmilk/formula. Also, baby has to be 6 months old to eat homemade rice cereal and I prefer waiting for that instead of buying infant rice cereal that baby can have before 6 months. But, do what's best for you. Go for it at 4 months if that's what works for you and your baby!


Schedule of food for baby's first year

Please keep in mind that I am not an expert in this area. Please consult with your baby's pediatrician to know if this homemade baby food plan is right for you! :)

Also, this is a brief summary of making homemade baby food. For a complete guide on this subject, I recommend Ruth Yaron's book entitled "Super Baby Food."

5 comments:

  1. I am loving this Holly!! You know I am!! I have been a pureeing machine today!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I just finished feeding the baby sweet potatoes! She'll be 9 months in 2 days and then I can start making the "super porridge" for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard anything about certain veggies being off limits due to them not being able to break down in a baby's digestive system?? My cousin said she heard carrots had something in them that made it hard for baby's to digest. Baby food companies take it out supposedly. Have you heard this and if so...what else? I have made carrots and give them to Rylie and haven't seen anything hugely bad. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow the chart that I've posted so I know when I can give certain foods to the baby. I've been fine following the chart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been making baby food for both of my kids. I'm glad to see someone else does the same thing and doesn't think it is too "granola". I agree it is the healthiest. It is great to start making some this summer if you have a garden in anticipation for anyone having kids able to start solids in the fall or beyond.
    thanks again for this site!

    Beth Potter
    a newbie in the ward.

    ReplyDelete